CHOPIN BENCHES / WARSAW
Chopin Benches (musical benches) have been placed in 15 key sites connected with the places where Frederic Chopin - famous Polish composer and virtuoso pianist of the Romantic era - spent time in Warsaw in the first part of 19th century. The benches are situated close to historical buildings, on squares, along representative streets and in two public parks (Saxon Garden and Royal Baths Park), as well as next to Chopin’s monuments in Warsaw. The benches are made of black polished granite and include a map presenting all locations on the Chopin Route in Warsaw and short information in Polish and English. They give the possibility of listening to Chopin’s music by pressing the button initiating thirty or forty seconds long fragments of his famous compositions, including polonaises, etudes, mazurkas, waltzes, ballads, nocturnes, etc. Moreover, each bench has QR Code which enable downloading the Chopin App with the audio mp3 guide to Chopin’s music and life.
Music for given locations in Warsaw:
1. Krasińskich Square – Mazurka in A minor Op. 17 No. 4; 39"
2. Miodowa Street – Mazurka in A minor Op. 68; 34"
3. Kozia Street – Song "Merrymaking"; 29"
4. Music Conservatory – Waltz in E-flat major Op. 18; 39"
5. Wessel Palace – Grande Polonaise in E-flat major Op. 22; 35"
6. Radziwiłł Palace – Rondo in C minor Op.1; 32"
7. Saxon Palace – Mazurka in B-flat major Op. 7 No. 1; 36"
8. Saxon Garden – Nocturne in B major Op. 9 No. 3; 47"
9. The Visitationists Church – Largo in E-flat major (op. posth.); 46"
10. Kazimierzowski Palace – Waltz in E minor (op. posth.); 45"
11. Czapski Palace – Waltz in D-flat major Op. 64 No. 1; 42"
12. The Holy Cross Church – Funeral March from Sonata in B-flat minor Op.35; 45"
13. Zamoyski Palace – Etude in C minor Op. 10 No. 12; 42"
14. Gniński – Ostrogski Palace – Ballade in F minor Op. 52; 42"
15. Fryderyk Chopin Statue in the Royal Baths Park – Polonaise in A major Op. 40 No. 1; 39"
The series of musical benches is an example of how the technology applied to urban furniture gives people the opportunity to connect them to public spaces, and use public spaces by it’s new digital layer in a new context. Chopin Benches increase the variety of resting opportunities in public spaces and this is making that people spent more time outdoor. As a nice attraction for locals and tourist, the Chopin Benches enable people to interact with technology in a very easy way.
Chopin Benches are sponsored and administrated by Warsaw Municipality.